This blog has moved!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Opening Pandora's Box

Pandora.com is an amazing music service that gives a Web 2.0 touch to internet radio. It's powered by the Music Genome Project and it can create music stations which play songs "musically similar" to tracks or artists that you suggest. The best thing I suppose is that - it really works well!

The Music Genome Project provides controlled tagging and categorization to music out there. The selections can then be refined by users while they listen to the songs. They can indicate whether they liked or disliked the track and whether they think the songs aren't musically alike! By giving everyone this ability, Pandora harnesses the wisdom of crowds and along with the opinions of the experts, can give you a really unique musical experience.

I've discovered more new artists that I liked in the last week, than I did all of last year! It taps into the long tail very well by slipping in great songs by lesser known artists. The closest experience I've had to this was when AudioGalaxy was at it's peak around 2002.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home